1991 to current: Independent Filmmaker
Writer, director, producer, editor
1979 to 2009: City of Calgary
Transportation Engineer in the Transportation Planning
- Played a major role in the development of the 1981 and 1991 versions of City’s Regional Transportation Model. I had primary responsibility for maintenance of 1981 model. I acted in a similar role with the 1991 model.
- Have worked on all aspects of transportation surveys for the City, including project leader, planning, supervision of data collection, analysis of data and preparation of reports. Surveys include: Transit Onboard Surveys, Travel to Work Surveys (as part of the Civic Census) and various travel behaviour surveys undertaken for the development of the Regional Transportation Model.
- Project leader for the conversion of the City’s Transportation model from UTPS to EMME/2. Personal advocacy led to the introduction of EMME/2 to Calgary.
- Responsible for development of the Transportation Plan Monitoring Program.
1978 to 1979: W.L.Wardrop Associates. Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Responsible for the transportation component of the Selkirk and District Development Plan Municipal Services Study.
- Prepared several traffic impact studies in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
1976 to 1978: - The University of Manitoba, Department of Civil Engineering.
Research and teaching assistant. Assisted with courses in transportation and water resources, and undertook research in Air Travel Demand.
1975: - City of Winnipeg, Traffic Operations.
Traffic Operations Technician.
- Worked on traffic accident analysis
- Developed a simulation model of a 4-way stop.
- Analysed several parking studies.
- Prepared several traffic operations studies.
- 1978 M.Sc. University of Manitoba, course work included courses from the departments of Civil Engineering, Economics, Statistics and the MBA program.
- 1976 B.Sc. (Civil Engineering) - University of Manitoba
- Individual courses in Anthropology, Archaeology, Management, Computer Systems, Conflict Resolution, Film Making and Transit Planning.
- Creative problem solving.
- Statistical analysis.
- Operational research.
- Transportation demand modelling.
- Design, supervision and analysis of transportation surveys.
"Forecasting Demand for Demand Forecasting" Coauthored with Yuhan Fung. ITE District 7 Annual Conference Victoria B.C. 1991 April 21-24.
"Equilibrium Concepts in Modal Split Modelling" -ASCE Transportation Engineering Journal, Vol. 108, No. TE5, September, 1982. page 457. - This paper was based on my Master’s thesis.
- Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta - Professional Engineer
- Secretary of the Calgary section of the ITE (1981 to 1983)
- Transportation Association of Canada Transportation Planning Committee (1985 to 1997)
- Secretary of the Calgary section of The Canadian Operations Research Society (1987 to 1990)
- Meeting host for the Calgary section of The Canadian Operations Research Society (1987 to 1999)
- Independent film maker
- Founded the $100 Film Festival, which now in its 15th year.
- Completed films have been exhibited at Film Festivals in New York City, Oklahoma, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Toronto. www.dynamiclethargyfilms.ca
- The Alberta Skeptics
- The Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities